Sunday, March 29, 2009

Savings...

It's Sunday night and I'm doing what I always do now on Sunday nights. I am going through sale bills that came in the Sunday paper. At the beginning of this year, our church decided to Tear Down the Wall of Debt. We owe money on our building and it's better to pay it off so we're not paying interest and so we can have more money to use in service for the Lord. So, Andy and I took a serious look at our budget, sold our Cadillac (which was on our last nerve anyways), traded it in for a used Mercury Sable (which we LOVE) and got a new outlook on our finances. We decided that just because we had the money to do certain things, doesn't mean we had to "do it" or "have it". I am not saying that we aren't going on a great trip next year for our anniversary, because we are...but we can be doing so much more to better ourselves, our future and our church if we'd just pay a little more attention to our finances. So, I have some friends that do the same, so I'm going to be posting the best deals I can find each Sunday night to share with all of you.

If you don't know, Andy and I make a monthly menu and doing the bulk of our grocery shopping at the beginning of the month. We do this for several reasons:

  1. We don't have a grocery store in Newman anymore.
  2. You save money if you're in the store less.
  3. You save time by not having to go the store several times a week.
  4. I'm an organized nerd :)

So, now that we've established the reason for the monthly shopping, I'll tell you how I do it. At the first of the month, we take out money that is set aside for groceries and baby supplies. That money goes into an envelope. At the end of the month, when that money is gone, it's gone...you don't want to be out of money at the end of the month because you'll go hungry!

We price compare. I do all of our shopping at Wal-Mart. If you go to Wal-Mart and tell them that Pepsi is on sale at Meijer's 2-24 packs for $10, they will match the price. And just in case you're wondering, Pepsi is on sale at Meijer's and I'm getting in on that deal tomorrow. They do not match 1/2 off or percentage off prices or buy 1 get 1 prices. However, if Meijer's has a super special, like 10 tubes of Crest toothpaste for $10, you can get that at Wal-Mart. Last week, I went to Wal-Mart, told them about the toothpaste special and also had 7 coupons for the toothpaste. The toothpaste should have cost me about $25. I spent $4.50 on 10 tubes of Crest Whitening Toothpaste with Scope. (6.2 oz tubes). That's a pretty good savings!

Don't be so brand specific! I must confess that I like my brands...I like certain kinds of cheese, Diet Coke, name brand frozen products, etc. However, I've learned to try new things, and if I don't like them, I cut back on the budget somewhere else so I can have my name brand item. However, I have learned to like many of the store brands...Now, I am not and wasn't ever a total brand snob, but I have learned to live with more store brands, which has saved us a lot of money.

If you can, go to a warehouse store like Sam's Club. There are lots of things at Sam's that can throw you for a loop...Do not buy soda there...or milk...it's cheaper to price match at Wal-Mart! But, the macaroni and cheese is a great deal. We don't eat the generic mac and cheese and they have a great price on Kraft. So, we buy 12 boxes at a time...the kids eat that much macaroni and cheese. They have great deals on pasta, chips, crystal light, diapers, wipes, razor blades, etc. The bad things about Sam's is that they don't take coupons! The only coupons they take are manufacturer's checks for formula. Our kids aren't drinking formula, but you might be interested to know that.

Cut Coupons! Wal-Mart ALWAYS takes coupons. Wal-Mart does not double coupons like some other stores, but I know that you will not save more by going to Kroger's. Their store brand prices do not compare and their regular prices are more too. If you go to FBC Atwood, there is a coupon box in the foyer. I cut out Sunday coupons and I know Jenny and Adriane do as well. We put coupons in and take coupons we need. This box is open to anyone in the church that needs to use them...that's what they're there for!

Another thing, I know I refer to Meijer's a lot in here, but don't shop there. They have good prices on a few things each week, but for the most part are MUCH higher than Wal-Mart. I know many of you like to shop at Aldi's. Aldi's does have some good items. However, with a 2 and 3 year old, I don't have time to go to multiple stores. That's why I go to Wal-Mart and get it all. With the price matching and coupons, I truly don't think you can beat them!

So, without further ado...I am going to list of the Top 10 best finds in the papers. You may not care for some of these...these are my favorites...you may like store brand frozen vegges, for example and I don't...but these are my favorite finds for the week.

  1. Milk is always $1.99 at Aldi's.
  2. Green Giant Frozen Fresh Steamers are 10/$10 at IGA.
  3. Doritos and Ruffles are 2/$5 at IGA.
  4. Kraft Shredded Cheese (2 c. pkgs) are 3/$5 at Target.
  5. Velveeta Blocks are $4.49 at Meijer's.
  6. Post Cereal is 3/$6 at Meijer's.
  7. Kellog's Cereal is $2.29 at IGA.
  8. 24 Pk of Pepsi Products are 2/$10 at Meijer's.
  9. Yoplait Yogurt is 10/$5 at Meijer's.
  10. Strawberries are 2/$4 at Meijer's.

Okay, now, you go out and shop and get all the good deals. If you are looking for something else, let me know and I can tell you if it's on sale somewhere. I have a 3 page grocery list...so I better get some rest before I have to shop tomorrow!

Don't forget to cut coupons! The coupons in today's paper weren't great...but they'll be better next week! There is a Subway coupon in today's paper....Andy LOVES Subway!

If you want to go to Sam's Club, I'm leaving tomorrow morning and then going to Wal-Mart (and Hobby Lobby too - all their Easter stuff is 50% off). It should be fun!

Happy Shopping to you all and post a comment if you know of more ways to save, good sales, etc.

6 comments:

  1. I love the nerd in you!! This is seriously a great post, I always cut coupons and I price match as well...it is seriously so exciting when you check out and see ALL the money you saved, I get very proud of myself! Keep the nerdy posts coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Girl!! Loving the blog today!! Kev and I are trying a lil' debt busting ourselves. Did you get a chance to listen to www.lifechurch.tv, Mr. Dave Ramsey is the guest speaker for a few weeks. It's good stuff, we already have heard it several times but it's good to have a refresher, uh?
    Need to do the once a month shopping, we go to the store too many times!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh....Misty....You totally inspire me. I am an organized freak with groceries too, and DO NOT like to spend too much at the store. I am not sure i can shop a month at a time though...I am not THAT organized :) GOod job. You should post a grocery list of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Misty, you totally inspire me. I am freak about saving on grocery shopping..I do normally go to walmart AND aldi. I need to be better about watching ads and telling walmart what is on sale. I would LOVE to shop only once a month. I would love to see a monthly menu and list!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do once a month menus and shopping as well. It really isn't that hard. It takes about 30 minutes to look through recipe books and develop a menu on a calendar. I write down the ingriedients needed on my shopping list at the same time I document what is on the menu. I then take about 15 minutes to check my cabinets and put staples on list. We spend 1 long day a month in stores, and I can have my husband pick up a few perishables 2 weeks later to tide us over. This saves a lot of time. The one long day isn't typically a lot of fun with 7 kids in tow, but worth it in savings. We did this to save time, and my husband only gets paid once a month, so I am kind of used to doing all my budgeting this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do shopping every other week on the big items like diapers & formula. I dont have a big freezer, so I buy fresh meat once a week. I love Aldis & walmart & do my shopping there alot. If it is something special, I just go ahead & buy it at Walmart. That is better than going across town when you have 3 kids in the car! Thanks for the good tips Misty!

    ReplyDelete